Tips to Deal with Alcohol Addiction in Connecticut
The use of alcohol does not come without risks. People start to drink as they feel relaxed, happy, and high. Drinking on a regular basis can increase your tolerance and dependence on alcohol. This will urge you to drink a larger quantity and more frequently. Alcohol, when misused, can lead to some serious health issues and can be fatal to life.
Overcoming alcohol is not a simple task. There are many chances that alcohol addicts become lonely and depressed. Some start to fight this battle on their own and lose miserably as they fall into the trap of relapse over and over again.
There is hope for alcohol addicts in AA meetings in Connecticut. Here, you will meet many people who will share their journey of quitting alcohol. Many will tell you how they thought they would never be sober again and now they are successful and loving it.
If you or your loved one needs support to give up alcohol, you can attend an AA meeting near your area in Connecticut. You can join this group for other addictions and substance abuse, provided you have an alcohol addiction as well.
How can you deal with withdrawal symptoms?
Recovery from alcohol is a slow and gradual process. Most people find it tough to manage withdrawal. For some, these symptoms may be mildly unpleasant and for others, they could be severely disturbing.
- Whenever you have the urge to drink, distract yourself with other things. Starting new hobbies can help you ride out of it, till you are finally able to bid goodbye to it.
- Trying to get the poison of alcohol out of your body alone is not a good idea. It should be done with the support of family and friends.
- Go with the flow. Deal with it gently. It is a good idea to attend a program that helps you deal with it in a phased manner.
- Avoid the company of those people who hinder your progress to staying sober. These friends will always tempt you to get back into this old habit of drinking.
- Eating a healthy and nutritious diet is the mantra to stay fit and get the boost and encouragement that you can do it. You will feel great about yourself and will be able to combat alcohol cravings.
- To create a good balance between your mind and body, you must practice yoga and meditation. This way forward, you will always feel relaxed and stay mindful to lead a better life.
- Keep a count on the moments post your last drink. A Sobriety Calculator will help you to do so. This will give you a sense of achievement.
Withdrawals and cravings can be really bad times. You may have tried going ‘cold turkey’ without success. Going with AA can help you overcome this addiction in a positive way. You can use an AA Meeting Directory and find “AA meeting near me”. Here, you can seek the company of like-minded people who can help you through your journey of quitting alcohol and lead you to a healthier and sober life.